New PayPal Policy Lets Company Pull $2,500 From Users’ Accounts If They Promote ‘Misinformation’

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wow....just wow. What an easy way to destroy a place like PmBug that relies on PayPal funneled donations.

BigJim had alerted me to this the other day, but his source didn't make it clear that this was a pending change officially announced by PayPal. While most of their new terms shouldn't be an issue, some are rather vague and subjective. :(

Some might have called this theft. Almost want to put a $100 on there just to wait for them to steal it so I can join the lawsuits.

Hey bug you might want to investigate taking payments directly from a credit card. I don't like the sound of this at all.

This software has a couple of payment gateways built into core package. It has payment gateways for:

BrainTree
PayPal
Stripe
2Checkout

I don't currently have a merchant account for either BrainTree (never heard of them), Stripe or 2Checkout, but I could look into what their terms and conditions are. To use any other payment processor would require hiring a coder from the Xenforo community to build a custom payment gateway (unless some already exist in their paid mods library). I'll have to do some investigating on that.

Worst case, if PayPal goes through with this policy update, I might have to remove the PayPal option and only accept checks by mail.

crypto starting to look better each day passing....

[Forwarded from SciFi World (Clif High)]
NOTE that on the new Paypal Acceptable Use policy, there is NO date dependency relative to the 'objectionable behavior' for which they intend to fine you $2500 US DOLLARS from your account.

So, they can fine you for years old shit.

Is this their way of monetizing cancel culture for profit?

[Forwarded from SciFi World (Clif High)]
NOTE that on the new Paypal Acceptable Use policy, there is NO date dependency relative to the 'objectionable behavior' for which they intend to fine you $2500 US DOLLARS from your account.

So, they can fine you for years old shit.

Is this their way of monetizing cancel culture for profit?

That's why I am going to go the check in the mail route. I haven't written a check or put anything in the mail for eons. Deleted CC from PayPal. Call me paranoid but if it comes to a class action suit you'll wait years for your money if you ever get it back. No justice for the peons.

Call me paranoid but if it comes to a class action suit you'll wait years for your money if you ever get it back.
I was in a class action with some stock I held with TDAmeritrade.

I forget which stock it was it was so long ago, but I just got paid!

I don't mind telling you all that the check was for $0.11.

It cost me more in gas to go to the bank to cash it. Fortunately, we had another from TABOR and we were going anyway.

I still write checks at the grocery store. Some of the young cashiers look baffled when I hand it to them 😂
I use a credit card for everything. If you argue I am supporting the man so are you if you are using his peach backs.

I'm not looking to spend my days in litigation with PayPal. I'm looking into setting up accounts with Stripe and/or 2checkout and will drop PayPal as soon as we have an alternative.

Elon Musk Fires Back at PayPal’s ‘Insane’ Policy to Seize $2,500 from Users If It Disagrees with Their Beliefs​

PayPal’s new user agreement to seize $2,500 from users if the company deems that someone is guilty of spreading ‘misinformation’ or offending other people has drawn the attention of one prominent tech billionaire: Elon Musk.

According to the DailyWire, “The new policy update from PayPal will permit the firm to sanction users who advance purported ‘misinformation’ or present risks to user ‘wellbeing’ with fines of up to $2,500 per offense.”

“The financial services company, which has repeatedly deplatformed organizations and individual commentators for their political views, will expand its ‘existing list of prohibited activities’ on November 3,” the report added. “Among the changes are prohibitions on ‘the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials’ that ‘promote misinformation’ or ‘present a risk to user safety or wellbeing.’ Users are also barred from ‘the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory’.”

Disturbingly, these criteria are entirely subjective and violate basic principles of due process and free speech. The policy would apply to actions taken using PayPal’s platform.

The fund seizures would be made at the “sole discretion” of PayPal, which would unilaterally inflict purported “damages” — including the withdrawal of $2,500 “debited directly from your PayPal account” per each offense.

PayPal’s policy has caused a wave of outraged users who are promptly canceling their accounts or terminating their digital banking relationships with the firm.

“Seriously, close your PayPal account immediately if they don’t reverse this today,” Scott Adams noted on a Jack Posobiec tweet.

One user made a sound point that “misinformation” does not even include intent to deceive or defraud. It could be an honest mistake

Good to see the issue getting broader attention.

I've tried to set up Stripe for receiving CC payments, but there is something wrong currently. I've reached out for tech support, but I don't know how long it will take to resolve this. *argh*

Someone at PayPal just got the big time chew ass. Spokesperson doing what spokespeople are supposed to do - spin that PR. DailyWire had their facts straight. The PayPal website directed you to the page of upcoming changes that included that language.

OK they denied it. You know what that means.

Think they can't monitor 100 million users? Think again.

OOPs!

PayPal Reverses Course, Says Company Will Not Seize Money From People For Promoting 'Misinformation'​

BY TYLER DURDEN

PayPal on Oct. 8 said it was not implementing a new policy that would have enabled the company to seize money from users who allegedly promote “misinformation” or “hate.”

An AUP notice recently went out in error that included incorrect information. PayPal is not fining people for misinformation and this language was never intended to be inserted in our policy,” a PayPal spokesperson told The Epoch Times in an email.

Our teams are working to correct our policy pages. We’re sorry for the confusion this has caused,” the spokesperson added.

The company in September announced that it was amending its acceptable use policy, or AUP.

The policy, due to take effect in November, said that users may not use PayPal to for the “sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials that, in PayPal’s sole discretion, (a) are harmful, obscene, harassing, or objectionable, (b) depict or appear to depict nudity, sexual or other intimate activities, (c) depict or promote illegal drug use, (d) depict or promote violence, criminal activity, cruelty, or self-harm (e) depict, promote, or incite hatred or discrimination of protected groups or of individuals or groups based on protected characteristics (e.g. race, religion, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, etc.) (f) present a risk to user safety or wellbeing, (g) are fraudulent, promote misinformation, or are unlawful, (h) infringe the privacy, intellectual property rights, or other proprietary rights of any party, or (i) are otherwise unfit for publication.”

For each violation, PayPal says users are subject to repercussions. Those include “liquated damages” of $2,500 per violation. The money will be taken directly from a person’s PayPal account.

Users were directed to PayPal’s user agreement, which states in part that PayPal can take a number of actions if users participate in restricted activities, such as holding their money in balance indefinitely. It also says that “you will be liable to PayPal for the amount of PayPal’s damages caused by your violation of the Acceptable Use Policy” at the amount of $2,500 per violation.

That money will cover internal administrative costs for PayPal to monitor and track violations and damage to PayPal’s brand, among other costs, according to the agreement.

Scores of people noticed the pending update in recent days and many announced on social media they would be closing their accounts.

“Seriously, close your PayPal account immediately if they don’t reverse this today,” Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, said.

Read more here...

I don't trust them. Who else has been walking back every other word out of their mouth? Even paranoids...

Just got off the phone with Stripe customer support. I'm fairly certain that the problem with the integration is because I need to wait on them to activate/validate the account I set up today. Support tech said he'd escalate the priority of my review, so maybe sometime this week the Stripe option will be working. We'll see.

Just got off the phone with Stripe customer support. I'm fairly certain that the problem with the integration is because I need to wait on them to activate/validate the account I set up today. Support tech said he'd escalate the priority of my review, so maybe sometime this week the Stripe option will be working. We'll see.
Then PayPal buys Stripe. :cool:

Viva Frei is a lawyer. I am sure he and other lawyers would not let this happen unchallenged. PayPal knows it.

VF221008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom