Random Pictures Thread

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Eric that picture of the Chipmunk is a perfect companion for chipmunk carving I did a little while ago. I have been procrastinating about painting. You have a perfect picture there to inspire me to complete my work lie the wife unit is on me about finishing. Thanks..................
Thanks! That sounds awesome. Would love to see that. In case you need more. šŸæļø
Chipmunk-2019-07-06-Img_8502SS.jpg

Chipmunk-2022-04-09-Img_8189SS.jpg

Chipmunk-2019-06-25-Img_7624SS.jpg

Happy 63rd. Call or text if you wanna meet up by the jetty.

Thanks for alla kind thoughts, gang. I gotta be the luckiest guy I've ever come across. While constructed in great measure with metal, I am in fine shape and even walk without a limp... and Herself is a prize like no other.

Well, we went and are back. HOT!

We decided to go to Jap Rock, since it was really low tide. Way out, so you could see the exposed razor rocks where folks should never go, even in calm weather. Surf was up by Gold Coast standards, with actual waves.

And I managed to do some good:

There was a guy (Scott) with a metal detector. The sand was cut to about six feet down with actual cliffs that made it difficult to get down to the surf. The guy was metal detecting on the untouched sand. I hadda point out to him he was trying to detect through six feet of sand when he could be at the water's edge by jumping down the cliff where all was uncovered.

Moreover, there was a sorta "mill race" where the ocean water funneled along essentially parallel to shore for a coupla hunnert feet after each wave. I cajoled him to hop down and just try it for a hundred feet or so. So he did, and found a ring!!

From then on, I was the Jedi Master as far as he was concerned. I told him about Irons favorite "Mommy Line" trick. Not possible today with an onshore wind, but he said when a full moon and low tide comes in, he is definitely going to be out there to try that.

The fun part is, he was an "old" guy: about mid-fifties <-- Same as my boys. And he had been discouraged because all he had found was pennies and tin garbage all morning. Now he has a whole new way of going at the hobby.

I have given all my top-of-the-line saltwater-submersible detecting equipment to Puck, my younger (57) son -- since my shot-up shoulder fell apart. He is currently having too much fun catching lobsters with his Scuba stuff doing beach dives. Which is kewl by me, since he allus brings up some bugs when he visits. He'll be out there 'swinging the stick' when the bug season closes.

My Red Witchie-poo has gone all out: She just ordered a pizza for dinner. O my! The plutocratic extravagance!

Thanks for alla kind thoughts, gang. I gotta be the luckiest guy I've ever come across. While constructed in great measure with metal, I am in fine shape and even walk without a limp... and Herself is a prize like no other.

Well, we went and are back. HOT!

We decided to go to Jap Rock, since it was really low tide. Way out, so you could see the exposed razor rocks where folks should never go, even in calm weather. Surf was up by Gold Coast standards, with actual waves.

And I managed to do some good:

There was a guy (Scott) with a metal detector. The sand was cut to about six feet down with actual cliffs that made it difficult to get down to the surf. The guy was metal detecting on the untouched sand. I hadda point out to him he was trying to detect through six feet of sand when he could be at the water's edge by jumping down the cliff where all was uncovered.

Moreover, there was a sorta "mill race" where the ocean water funneled along essentially parallel to shore for a coupla hunnert feet after each wave. I cajoled him to hop down and just try it for a hundred feet or so. So he did, and found a ring!!

From then on, I was the Jedi Master as far as he was concerned. I told him about Irons favorite "Mommy Line" trick. Not possible today with an onshore wind, but he said when a full moon and low tide comes in, he is definitely going to be out there to try that.

The fun part is, he was an "old" guy: about mid-fifties <-- Same as my boys. And he had been discouraged because all he had found was pennies and tin garbage all morning. Now he has a whole new way of going at the hobby.

I have given all my top-of-the-line saltwater-submersible detecting equipment to Puck, my younger (57) son -- since my shot-up shoulder fell apart. He is currently having too much fun catching lobsters with his Scuba stuff doing beach dives. Which is kewl by me, since he allus brings up some bugs when he visits. He'll be out there 'swinging the stick' when the bug season closes.

My Red Witchie-poo has gone all out: She just ordered a pizza for dinner. O my! The plutocratic extravagance!
"a ring"?

That's all we get!? C'mon Unca, men's/wimminz? Pewter, tin, silver plate....Teal tungsten band, Tupperware encrusted?

"a ring"?

That's all we get!? C'mon Unca, men's/wimminz? Pewter, tin, silver plate....Teal tungsten band, Tupperware encrusted?
Just a gold band. 14k Essentially anonymous. Looked like a lady ring. It went inna pocket quickly.

Well, if'n you want more (nickndfl will get a kick outa this) -- This is Himself, holding a $50K Star Coin found right by the Ft.Pierce inlet. I was (unpaid, and happy to be there) on the Ella Warley III, where they did a blow within golfing distance of the beach. 18' of overburden sand to to a ten-foot bottom to search. My job was to hold a clear plastic plate down in the slope of the sand so a diver with a detector could move some stuff away without the sand filling it right back up.

They found this one -- pristine. That's Himself, grinning like I had a fresh lobotomy:
1667245716179.jpeg

This is the one I found 35 years ago by complete accident; I had fallen offa the back ledge of our dive boat because the tank got loose from the BCD and I hadda go get it. 20' to white sand (called a Sahara dive). I was sitting on the bottom, tightening up straps and things with the tank in front me as I breathed on it. My hand clunked something in the sand, and I picked up this (sans the gold mounting)
1667246088800.jpeg

Mel Fisher ID'd the coin for me. Potosi mint. Dated 1653. It came from Our Lady of Marvels (but in Spico). Nuestra SeƱora de las Maravillas (sunk in 1656) He was VERY interested in where I found it, and when I told him, he sighed and said: "Yup. You found a 'dump' coin -- dropped as the ship floated by, busting up. This ship sank about 30 miles to the north."

Oh. About me finding it: The guys on the boat were wondering what the hell was I doing down there... NOTHING lives in the Sahara. So after about ten minutes of me fanning sand, a guy come down and gives me the "WTF?" signal. I held up the coin, and his eyes looked huge. HE started fanning.

Eventually the whole fargin boatload of divers were down there. At 20', we all blew two full tanks <-- hours. Nobody found nuffin. The sand was about a foot or so deep to white smooth coral rock, so you could fan all the way down to the rock.

My only treasure even though I started scuba diving in the 60's.

Well, if'n you want more (nickndfl will get a kick outa this) -- This is Himself, holding a $50K Star Coin found right by the Ft.Pierce inlet. I was (unpaid, and happy to be there) on the Ella Warley III, where they did a blow within golfing distance of the beach. 18' of overburden sand to to a ten-foot bottom to search. My job was to hold a clear plastic plate down in the slope of the sand so a diver with a detector could move some stuff away without the sand filling it right back up.

They found this one -- pristine. That's Himself, grinning like I had a fresh lobotomy:
View attachment 2000

This is the one I found 35 years ago by complete accident; I had fallen offa the back ledge of our dive boat because the tank got loose from the BCD and I hadda go get it. 20' to white sand (called a Sahara dive). I was sitting on the bottom, tightening up straps and things with the tank in front me as I breathed on it. My hand clunked something in the sand, and I picked up this (sans the gold mounting)
View attachment 2001

Mel Fisher ID'd the coin for me. Potosi mint. Dated 1653. It came from Our Lady of Marvels (but in Spico). Nuestra SeƱora de las Maravillas (sunk in 1656) He was VERY interested in where I found it, and when I told him, he sighed and said: "Yup. You found a 'dump' coin -- dropped as the ship floated by, busting up. This ship sank about 30 miles to the north."

Oh. About me finding it: The guys on the boat were wondering what the hell was I doing down there... NOTHING lives in the Sahara. So after about ten minutes of me fanning sand, a guy come down and gives me the "WTF?" signal. I held up the coin, and his eyes looked huge. HE started fanning.

Eventually the whole fargin boatload of divers were down there. At 20', we all blew two full tanks <-- hours. Nobody found nuffin. The sand was about a foot or so deep to white smooth coral rock, so you could fan all the way down to the rock.

Amazing find. Shoot I'd be bragging about that on the daily

Don't give up Unca, you might eventually find treasure even older than you if ya keep lookin'! /snort šŸ˜¬

View attachment 2000

View attachment 2001

Such a great story.

It reminds me of a camping trip when I was 8. Long story, this is the very condensed version:
We went camping on an island on the St. Croix river. It was a very muddy island. I was digging in the mud with a stick along the river looking for "treasure". In minutes I pulled out a 1943 D Mercury dime. I still have that dime.

Here it is. Unfortunately I did not know when I was 8 years old that taking an eraser to shine up a coin was a bad idea. Hence the clear smudge before I realized I didn't want it that shiny. Glad I at least kept it all these years.
1943D-Dime.jpg

1943D-DimeBack.jpg

Such a great story.

It reminds me of a camping trip when I was 8. Long story, this is the very condensed version:
We went camping on an island on the St. Croix river. It was a very muddy island. I was digging in the mud with a stick along the river looking for "treasure". In minutes I pulled out a 1943 D Mercury dime. I still have that dime.

Here it is. Unfortunately I did not know when I was 8 years old that taking an eraser to shine up a coin was a bad idea. Hence the clear smudge before I realized I didn't want it that shiny. Glad I at least kept it all these years.
View attachment 2008

View attachment 2009
Love it. I'd be hooked at once...shoot I nearly shat when I found one in the wild (in change at Wendy's from the little automatic change dispensing slide thingy) just a handful of years ago. Mercs are one of my top fav designs/coins.

Very Happy for you and your lady, Unca Walt, almost twice me (35). I don't know how you guys did it, but keep doing whatever that is.

This is what the MIL bought for us on our thirtieth in Wroclaw, Poland, three amber roses (One for each decade) with sterling stems. Very expensive. This picture is after we came home, 2017. Last time I have been in Poland. 2 Long. I was in Europe in 2019 but no time for Poland.
1667259084174.jpeg

Wife Unit on that trip 2017, found her childhood favorite, don't tell anybody but that was like her fifth one no joke mmmmmoo0000ooo!
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

View attachment 2018
Bread & pastry connoisseurs, them Eastern gals. My friends were depressed when working in the states. I remember them asking me, "where's your bread?" After seemingly turning over every leaf in the tri state area looking for something that resembled "real bread". Kasia ended up driving to NYC just to get bagels.

misty that's why i learned to bake my own french bread. Better than anything here period, there was a actual French baker here who made bank but he bailed. The first try was excellent, next perfect, but in a short time I gained a few pounds so I put the mixer away.
I found my childhood favorite too, but don't tell my wife unit.
1667260809738.jpeg

Hey gringott, here's a question from outta left field.
What's with the lambs in that photo of the amber roses?
I'm of Polish decent and they seem familiar to me.

misty that's why i learned to bake my own french bread. Better than anything here period, there was a actual French baker here who made bank but he bailed. The first try was excellent, next perfect, but in a short time I gained a few pounds so I put the mixer away.
View attachment 2020
Oh boy, I think I'm gonna fall off the wagon...

Hey gringott, here's a question from outta left field.
What's with the lambs in that photo of the amber roses?
I'm of Polish decent and they seem familiar to me.
Easter lambs amigo. There is one behind too. There in her area that's what they get, in Chicago we got butter lamb and a cake lamb yellow inside white and coconut frosting but the cake wasn't us box cake it was not typical us, the bakery made them, I think even jewel had all that stuff, heck they got perogies fresh at jewel. all kinds

hey misty i got a couple of videos julia child 1972, first i used a recipe but I went with julia after that, i just adjusted the portions and I got a better yeast. I could send them to you if you got a place or something. or just search around I am sure easy to find even utube

hey misty i got a couple of videos julia child 1972, first i used a recipe but I went with julia after that, i just adjusted the portions and I got a better yeast. I could send them to you if you got a place or something. or just search around I am sure easy to find even utube
Only a fool would deny such a gracious offer!

Thanks gringott, I'm sure those lambs made an appearance (or two) in our house while I was growing up.
Must have been when I was very young because when I saw them, they rang a bell, but I just don't recall details about them.
I'm sending that picture to my brothers. Gonna see if they remember them

View attachment 2020
What's with the red shades?

Thanks gringott, I'm sure those lambs made an appearance (or two) in our house while I was growing up.
Must have been when I was very young because when I saw them, they rang a bell, but I just don't recall details about them.
Hey, all the polish bakers in chicago area made these cookies called kolachkeys (sp), when i met my wife I told her i need some bad, she said I was crazy no such thing then i go to Poland and they think I am nuts so I took my wife to chicago to a polish baker fancy upscale and they had an entire glass case of those things the polish women said they originally were from the place around where my dad's family was from so that was why. My Irish mom had learned how to make them so if we begged a lot she would make some but on holidays we bought them.

the weird thing is we never had those in chicago, that was my first time seeing them, we brought those back on the plane. Do you guys do the very thin wafer holy wafer? It has like Jesus and Mary etc pressed into the wafer, it is blessed, and at midnight on New Years each member of the family breaks a piece off, feeds it to another member and gives a booshe (sp) until everyone has shared. That is my wife's tradition but I never heard of it before in chicago. I love the ceremony and the MIL always sends us some and we always do it. I guess the regional thing makes a big diff. You from PA right?

Such a great story.

View attachment 2008

View attachment 2009
EVER KEWL!

Back
Top Bottom