What are you listening to?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dave Brubeck - Take Five 7mins 30 secs​

Live in Belgium 1964
Paul Desmond (alto sax), Joe Morello (drums), Eugene Wright (bass) and Dave Brubeck (piano)

The Fortunes - You've Got Your Troubles, I've Got Mine 3minutes 25 secs

Not to draw from the recording, which is excellent; stands the test of time.

But that was pure lip-synching. First, I have heard the original 45. Second, there is no horn section or strings beyond the three guitar players. Then, the studio sound. FAR from that of a live stage.

It was common, doing that in those days. You never knew what would happen on a live filmed performance, and some listeners would be annoyed at the different sounds, the lesser augmentation.

A little Philly Doo <redacted - see forum guidelines on epithets> - Four J's "Hear Am I Broken Hearted" 2 mins 12 secs

Old school.

And, season appropriate.

It's All Hallows' Eve. Let's explore...

John Stewart was a songwriter, from the early 1960s, who chose to try performing in the late 1970s. He had many friends, including Stevie Nicks, who did backup on this performance. What he lacked was vocal talent. And also, a future...he was doomed to early-onset Alzheimer's, a few years beyond this.

I remember this, being on the playlist of the Buffalo album-rock station I listened to, fall of 1979. It has always haunted me.

More so, now. I'm in Montana. Now, walk with me here....

A teenage girl , sick in her bed, second floor...in Missoula, or Bozeman, or Great Falls. It's a cold, clear night...and there's a rap on her (second-floor) window. Who should be there, but Sheriff Henry Plummer...noose and all...

C'mon down, Miranda! Yer window's open wide!

There are things that fly in the Midnight Wind...

A question in your nerves is lit
Yet you know there is no answer fit
To satisfy, insure you not to quit
To keep it in your mind and not forget
That it is not he or she or them or it
That you belong to
Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to
For them that must obey authority
That they do not respect in any degree
Who despise their jobs, their destinies
Speak jealously of them that are free
Cultivate their flowers to be
Nothing more than something they invest in

BACH ORGAN SONATA FOR 2 GUITARS (PT. I)​

BACH ORGAN SONATA FOR 2 GUITARS (PT. II)​

BACH ORGAN SONATA FOR 2 GUITARS (PT. III)​

3m

Weren't virtually all the music vids from back in the day lip synced?
Don't know.

Actually, IIRC, the first round of "music videos" weren't the groups performing. They were a sound track to a disjointed, herky-jerky series of disconnected snippets.

I remember the first one I saw...this was in 1983. Keep in mind, I had no cable or television (or time to watch it; I was driving a cab full time) but I was taking a class at Lake County Community College that fall. The college had a beer bar in the student union...in those days, 18-year-olds could drink beer in Ohio (and all alcohol in NY).

I'm having a beer after class, and on the tevee over the bar is this bizarro display. At first I thought it was an advertising for a coming performance, but it went on, and on, and on...

And then it was over, and there was a blurb announcing "You're watching MUSIC TELEVISION!" Cripes, I couldn't think of anything I'd rather see less than that brain-scattering mess.

It was only later that they actually tried videotaping actual (or fake lip-sync'd) performances.

Bill Hicks - Relentless [1992] - Stand Up Comedy Show​

I remember the first one I saw...this was in 1983.
Those were Mtv videos. I'm talking about the older vids of bands supposedly playing live. Those were all lip-synced.

Here is an example from 1972.

They may have been actually playing, but the music we hear with the vid is the studio recording.

The college had a beer bar in the student union...in those days, 18-year-olds could drink beer in Ohio (and all alcohol in NY)
Only 3.2% watered down beer. Had to be 21 to buy the good stuff (ie: the 7%)

They may have been actually playing, but the music we hear with the vid is the studio recording.

True enough.

Only 3.2% watered down beer. Had to be 21 to buy the good stuff (ie: the 7%)

No 7 percent beer in those days. Federal regs of the time, required all fermented alcoholic products of over 5 percent alcohol, be sold as "malt liquors." Beer, as beer, in the US, could be sold with no MORE than 5 percent alcohol, but there was no requirement of quality or to list alcohol content. I firmly believe that a lot of 3.2 beer was sold in the States, just not marked as such. Weak piss.

As for Ohio...now I'm going by memory here, but I'm 80-percent sure. The Three-Two Beer laws went away in 1982 - 18-20 year-olds could drink regular beer at that point. The moment was short lived, however, because round about 1984 the Reagan Department of Transportation people started strong-arming states to raise their drinking age to 21. Done, you may recall, by tying Federal highway funds to this "cooperation."

A US Billboard Hot 100 #2 for 2 weeks in 1959 by the Brooklyn doo-<redacted - see forum guidelines on epithets> group with a song subtitled I Ran All The Way Home.

2mins 40 secs

No 7 percent beer in those days.
That was the max that Ohio law allowed at the time, not that the beer was exactly 7%
As for Ohio...now I'm going by memory here, but I'm 80-percent sure. The Three-Two Beer laws went away in 1982 - 18-20 year-olds could drink regular beer at that point.
Yes, they changed the max to 6%, did away with the 3.2% and changed the age to buy it to 19.
...and yes, it was short lived as the feds forced the age for everything to 21 soon thereafter.

The wicked know no peace and you just can't fake it
There's only one road and it leads to Calvary
It gets discouraging at times, but I know I'll make it
By the saving Grace that's over me

Official live performance of Stevie Nicks - "Stand Back" from ‘Live in Chicago' (2008)

5mins 16 secs

Weren't virtually all the music vids from back in the day lip synced?
There used to be a show on Sat night after midnite, just before MTV started. They used to show the promotional videos.
Here is one I used to see, found it again not too long ago. Same vid.
Is it live or memorex? IDK

Wanted Man, a family favorite both versions. Written by Bobby Dylan and The Man in Black.

George Thorogood, the only good thing that came out of Delaware. What more can I say?
This is a early live version, the recorded version is much more polished but this is the one I love.

DARRELL BANKS - OPEN THE DOOR TO YOUR HEART​

from the Lp " Darrell Banks is here ! " (1967) photos from Lois Williams (his sister)
2 mins 37 secs

Shane Smith & The Saints - All I See Is You - LIVE from the Desert​

Recorded Live with two generators & a film crew in the desert, near Terlingua, TX.
4 mins 27 secs

Truly Yours - The Spinners​

Motown released "Truly Yours" as the A-single for the Spinners in summer of 1966. Although it barely charted on the pop charts, it became a big hit on the R&B charts. Despite its poor showing on the pop charts, the song would become a Motown classic
3 mins 6 secs

Everyone's Gone To The Moon - Jonathan King {Stereo}​

1965....#17 U.S. Billboard Hot 100, #4 UK Singles Chart
2mins 26 secs

Back
Top Bottom