GIM2 refugees

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I noticed that there are email options under the "Privacy" option, also.
You are correct sir! I just looked and mine were unchecked.

I just 'tested' and it is the same check box for both. Unchecking one, unchecks the other.

I continued to get some emails until I clicked an option on one of the emails themselves. It said something to the effect of "stop all email notifications from threads." I wish I had taken a screen pic of it but I didn't. Once I clicked that email, all my email notices stopped.

Oops! I just checked and I did take a screen shot. Here it is:

View attachment 816
Zed's suggestion worked I had already unclicked everything in peferences or whatever the hell it's called.

Zed's suggestion worked I had already unclicked everything in peferences or whatever the hell it's called.

Yeah, it automatically subbed you to every thread for email. You'd stopped future threads being added but you have to go back and specifically stop existing threads. You can also add them individually manually if needed.

With the rate we post @ it's a lot of mail! LOL.

One would think there is a way to stop this. GIM is the same software and there isn't this problem there. The only reason I'm back on here is because I threw up the flag over there. Honestly, this shit feels like a joke. It's definitely going to dissuade people from joining up and also re-upping if they already did so.

I discovered that the admin control panel does in fact give me the option of resetting the email notification setting on watched threads for members. So, I spent some time this morning going through the list of folks who registered in the last couple of weeks and either had not confirmed their registration or had their accounts disabled (due to email notifications bouncing). In the latter case, I also made sure to reset their thread watch settings to disable email notifications. This should solve the account disabling for these folks (though there could still be the odd email waiting to bounce).

One would think there is a way to stop this. GIM is the same software and there isn't this problem there. The only reason I'm back on here is because I threw up the flag over there. Honestly, this shit feels like a joke. It's definitely going to dissuade people from joining up and also re-upping if they already did so.
I hear you. I'm sorry for the aggravation. It has to do with the email servers not getting along. Some email providers use blocklists like Spamhaus or others and it's not easy to get off those lists once you get on. How do you get on those lists? Easy. Either the email server is powering a lot of sites from other people and someone used their account for spam (or got hacked and their account was used to send spam) or there were sufficient forum members who, instead of adjusting their email settings in their control panel, just complained that forum emails were spam. I suspect the latter is the case for me. I own another forum site (peer support for a specific medical condition) that's been around for about 20 years and has thousands of members - with a decent percentage that aren't very "computer literate".

Well, today has been adventure. I think I manually revalidated @dpong 's account at least 6 times today. Bounced emails kept disabling it every 30-60 minutes. I eventually got the bright idea to adjust the criteria the forum uses on bounced emails to be much more generous. I don't think anyone (who is unable to receive pmbug emails and is sending bounce notifications back to me) will have their accounts disabled for at least two weeks. I don't think there is anyone left that fits that criteria still has email notifications turned on, so everyone should be good to go from here on out, but as always, if you do have an issue, let me know and I'll fix it.

Well, today has been adventure. I think I manually revalidated @dpong 's account at least 6 times today. Bounced emails kept disabling it every 30-60 minutes. I eventually got the bright idea to adjust the criteria the forum uses on bounced emails to be much more generous. I don't think anyone (who is unable to receive pmbug emails and is sending bounce notifications back to me) will have their accounts disabled for at least two weeks. I don't think there is anyone left that fits that criteria still has email notifications turned on, so everyone should be good to go from here on out, but as always, if you do have an issue, let me know and I'll fix it.

That is what they call “a clue.”

Now you did it, too late.

Don't forget to invite folks to drop by for a visit...

Cool we even get refugee badges!? How hospitable and gracious.
Good to see you here. 😼

In addition to the new member info, these posts might help.

GIM2 Refugee tag

Email notifications

Well, I’m getting a database error for gim. It may be over? Never had that before

I like his work, although, like myself got the reaction wrong ,going forward this looks possible on the bull side
Credit to Rashad HajiyeevScreenshot_20221011-075320_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, Newmisty! Good to see you here.
Thanks SS, thought I'd never make it!

After my raft full of gold & silver bullion was punctured by the men in black choppers I knew enough to just play dead & drift about on a bunch of fiat notes 'till I washed up on something solid.

Thanks SS, thought I'd never make it!

After my raft full of gold & silver bullion was punctured by the men in black choppers I knew enough to just play dead & drift about on a bunch of fiat notes 'till I washed up on something solid.
NM Good to see you!

Thank you AG, you're a site for sore eyes. What a month I've had. Seeing so many familiar faces and being so warmly welcomed warms my wounded heart.
For any lurkers/doubters who don't know the reality of the on going battle for us refugee's to find this land of freedom so humbly offered, I almost didn't even make it to my raft! Took a month of navigating the front lines like this

Warning graffic

Not able to load the "avatar." I'm somewhat tech-challenged, and I must need to post a few more times to do that...no big deal. I will never be a big poster anyway, and really prefer to post useful info instead of fluff.

Back
Top Bottom