New PayPal Policy Lets Company Pull $2,500 From Users’ Accounts If They Promote ‘Misinformation’

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm sure PayPal didn't have a team of lawyers check this out before they put this up. :) You need to cancel any recurring charges on your card before you can close your PayPal account. Just took a minute to do. See ya.

So it looks like they backtracked real fast here and called it an "error". More like trial balloon but who's counting.

At least the stock is getting rightly punished some more today.

So it looks like they backtracked real fast here and called it an "error". More like trial balloon but who's counting.

At least the stock is getting rightly punished some more today.

As lawyer Robert Barnes says, "Never underestimate the power of public opinion."

If the people offer a swift and opposing reaction, many things can be changed.

As lawyer Robert Barnes says, "Never underestimate the power of public opinion."

If the people offer a swift and opposing reaction, many things can be changed.

Turns out that telling your customers you don't like them and are going to steal from them is still, probably, a bad idea.

Some might have called this theft. Almost want to put a $100 on there just to wait for them to steal it so I can join the lawsuits.
You will lose; and spend a lot of time and money (maybe your attorney's pro-bono work) before you lose.

The kourts are as corrupt now, as the mediuh.

Give them a dollar, a quarter, & 2 pennies for a $1.17 purchase. You'll reduce them to a quivering mass...
Ring up $11.52; and give them a twenty, two ones, and two cents. You'll short-circuit them for a full minute.

Tell them to punch it in, anyway, just as it is. They're amazed when the computer tells them to give you a ten and two quarters.

You know what's REALLY fun? When one of them double-bumps a zero into the keyboard. I had this happen, 30 years ago at a fast-food dump. The ex and I were taking a fast lunch break...so we got the order in and I gave the genius a $20. She put an extra zero in; and she was all set to empty the cash till at me.

The ex (an honest soul) tried to stop her; and the girl got really snippy. I was trying not to laugh...but the fun stopped when she didn't have "enough" and called the manager over. I got a dirty look; the girl went back to deep-fryer duties; and the show was over.

I remember that one. I think it was about the same time as "Craig's Traveler's Checks" (or card?). "He never leaves his apartment."

Has anyone looked into Parallel Economy? It has some ties to Dan Bongino but it might be an option. Probably difficult to automate into the forum though...

This software has a couple of payment gateways built into core package. It has payment gateways for:

BrainTree
PayPal
Stripe
2Checkout

I don't currently have a merchant account for either BrainTree (never heard of them), Stripe or 2Checkout, but I could look into what their terms and conditions are. To use any other payment processor would require hiring a coder from the Xenforo community to build a custom payment gateway (unless some already exist in their paid mods library). I'll have to do some investigating on that.

Worst case, if PayPal goes through with this policy update, I might have to remove the PayPal option and only accept checks by mail.

I'm not looking to spend my days in litigation with PayPal. I'm looking into setting up accounts with Stripe and/or 2checkout and will drop PayPal as soon as we have an alternative.

I've tried to set up Stripe for receiving CC payments, but there is something wrong currently. I've reached out for tech support, but I don't know how long it will take to resolve this. *argh*

Just got off the phone with Stripe customer support. I'm fairly certain that the problem with the integration is because I need to wait on them to activate/validate the account I set up today. Support tech said he'd escalate the priority of my review, so maybe sometime this week the Stripe option will be working. We'll see.

giphy.webp

I don't know what 'parallel economy' is. I did not read through the link you posted. I repeated for you the options that are available and what I'm pursuing at the moment.

[Forwarded from Chief Nerd]
[ Video ]
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Has Opened an Investigation into PayPal

“We have ordered most of the major big tech firms and payment companies to provide us with information about how are they making decisions about who they kick off their platforms, but we also need to look into whether they believe they can be fining users for legal activities.”

@ChiefNerd

... Jefferies analyst Trevor Williams said he wasn’t sure that the controversy would spark a mass exodus from the PayPal platform.

He noted in a Wednesday report to clients that data from ListenFirst, which does social-media analytics, indicated that only 70,000 accounts tweeted, retweeted, or liked a tweet with the #DeletePayPal hashtag over the span of Saturday to Monday. For context, PayPal Chief Executive Dan Schulman disclosed on the company’s earnings call that PayPal had “nearly 400 million consumer accounts.”

“If action taken by consumers in response to the policy update/retraction is isolated to those that voiced displeasure via social media (or even a multiple of those that did), we would not expect there to be any noticeable impact on net new active accounts,” Jefferies’ Williams wrote. ...

challenge accepted?

...trying to un-ring the bell.

Can't be done. Like a threat against your spouse, or your boss...once said, it's over.

They may as well look to sell the company to TikTok, now. By itself it's got zero cred...that's what comes of threatening people's money in their trust.

...trying to un-ring the bell.

Can't be done. Like a threat against your spouse, or your boss...once said, it's over.

They may as well look to sell the company to TikTok, now. By itself it's got zero cred...that's what comes of threatening people's money in their trust.
Not only that, but they did NOT remove the clause you electronically sign -- they most ricky-tick can take your dough -- sauce posted elsewhere on this site.

I don't remember if I actually closed my Paypal account or just stopped using it...? It wouldn't let me log in with the saved password but that doesn't mean much.

I don't remember if I actually closed my Paypal account or just stopped using it...? It wouldn't let me log in with the saved password but that doesn't mean much.
You could click the Forgot Password? link. They will ask for the email address. Enter that and if they can't find an account with that email you'll get this message:
PayPal.jpg

Seems like a new policy...EVERY time you log out, you have to get an email or text Security Code to log back in.

Ostensibly, to "protect" users. In practice, to keep the Normies logged in...the better that they can backdoor computers, hoover up data, maybe get money they think they're owed for Forbidden Opinions.

I have cancelled all PayPal subscriptions. Thanks to everyone who jumped in with an account upgrade (especially on the subscription basis). You will still get what you have paid for. When the term expires (whether a month or a year depending upon what you chose), you can renew using one of the new payment methods (CC or check).

I have cancelled all PayPal subscriptions. Thanks to everyone who jumped in with an account upgrade (especially on the subscription basis). You will still get what you have paid for. When the term expires (whether a month or a year depending upon what you chose), you can renew using one of the new payment methods (CC or check).

OK... didn't see this. Market watching too much!

Nothing new, but including for posterity as the story is hitting some mainstream media:
PayPal's policies include a clause barring the "promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance." PayPal has not provided details about what the terms entail and declined to provide a comment to the Washington Examiner.

The clause "suffers from the same defect as a lot of the other proposed prohibitions on speech, in that it's vague," Aaron Terr, senior program officer at the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, told the Washington Examiner. "And it's left open to interpretation by PayPal employees, and because of its vagueness, that gives them a lot of discretion to essentially just enforce that provision against disfavored speakers, and to do so in a viewpoint-discriminatory manner."

YOWZA. I pointed out this nasty crap a few weeks ago. The "hook" is on Page 3 or thereabouts on the contract you electrically sign. They changed not a single word.

ANYTHING you hear from PayPal to the contrary is just not true.

paypal outsourced this function to the same org that does google, twitter, fakebook, etc....

1666886411058.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom