Privacy, encryption vs. Surveillance state

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

https://www.shtfplan.com/headline-n...atory-facial-recognition-at-airports_12032019

China is leading the pack. Vice President of the USA criticizes their work while US agencies continue laying groundwork for the same system. smh...

More (long):

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/dec/9/social-credit-system-china-mass-surveillance-tool-/

Last edited:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lores-worldwide-tracking-of-users-coronavirus

Edward Snowden on Monday warned that high-tech surveillance measures governments use to fight the outbreak of COVID-19, the disease caused by the newly identified coronavirus, could have a long-lasting impact.

https://www.cnet.com/news/snowden-warns-government-surveillance-amid-covid-19-could-be-long-lasting/

https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc...e-and-data-collection-stimulus-package-2020-3

Not related to government, just another self inflicted wound society embraces without any real cost analysis...

Concerns about government using mass surveillance to track movements will be deflected the same way phone and internet surveillance was - by outsourcing to private companies.

Privately run car parks in the UK seem to have been using this for a while.
Could just be regular video footage and someone entering the registration numbers into a database but probably recognition software ?
Sometimes for the entry barrier to lift, you have to be in the vehicle that you prepaid for.

So today I fired up the Bugsite, clicked onto news and scrolled through the articles available.
I wondered if there was any commentary regarding the Tucker Carlson interview with Bobulinski .....
hmmm no.
Ok so I select another hedge article, read it, click on ( hedge) home and at the top ie the most viewed / trending article is this one -
So I read it, then come back here and refresh the news page and a new article shows up about blowing up deliveries of missiles to Iran but still no link to the Carlson - Bobulinski interview. Back to the Hedge and refresh and yes there is the Iran article at no2.

So the question is -

Who is blocking the Zero Hedge article from sites like this one and other alt sites that link Zero Hedge ?

It finally showed up here around mid day UK time
Curious
Maybe I am too paranoid

I'll have to investigate (not convenient from my phone), but my guess is ZH doesn't publish everything in their RSS feed. I'm guessing the page in question was authored by a 3rd party (not one of the Tylers).

Oh... Pmbug is supposed to cache the RSS feed so it's not constantly pinging ZH (et al) all the time. I'm pretty sure I set the cache refresh period to an hour.

Thanks Bug
still curious though as it was certainly more than an hour. Can the time of first posting ( or even first comment ) be compared with my observations ?

ZH might also have a cache interval affecting how often it updates their RSS feed. For example, if their feed updates every 15 or 30 minutes, you can add that to the Bug cache interval to get a max possible cache delay.

Back on topic...

Almost two years ago, I ran across this news story (but failed to post it here) about Palantir Technologies building a supercomputer for the IRS to analyze/track financial transactions:

Some background on Palantir Technologies from that time:

This morning, I saw this report with a rather chilling quote in it:

Sounds like they are building out surveillance tech for contact tracing / medical profiling or similar.

* bump *

Global Spyware Scandal: Exposing Pegasus Part One (full documentary) | FRONTLINE​

FRONTLINE PBS | Official

Premiered 9 hours ago

53:15

Part one of a two-part docuseries: FRONTLINE and Forbidden Films investigate Pegasus, a powerful spyware sold to governments around the world by the Israeli company NSO Group.

This journalism is made possible by viewers like you. Support your local PBS station here: http://www.pbs.org/donate.

In 2020, the journalism nonprofit Forbidden Stories and Amnesty International gained access to a leaked list of more than 50,000 phone numbers. They suspected it contained numbers selected for potential surveillance with Pegasus. The Pegasus Project reporting consortium — which was led by Forbidden Stories and included 16 other media organizations, FRONTLINE among them — found that the spyware had been used on journalists, human rights activists, the wife and fiancée of the murdered Saudi columnist Jamal Khashoggi, and others.

Over two nights, this docuseries reveals the inside story of an investigation that prompted probes by governments and institutions around the world and sparked calls for an international treaty to govern the largely unregulated spyware industry.

NSO, which has disputed some of the Pegasus Project’s reporting, says that its technology was not associated in any way with Khashoggi’s murder and that it sells Pegasus to vetted governments for “the sole purpose of preventing and investigating terror and serious crime.”

Surveillance technologies like Pegasus are “a military weapon used against civilians, and the civilians, they don’t have any mechanism to help them in seeking justice,” says Laurent Richard, founder of Forbidden Stories and Forbidden Films and one of the producers of the films.

Part two of “Global Spyware Scandal: Exposing Pegasus” premieres Tues., Jan. 10, 2023.

Global Spyware Scandal: Exposing Pegasus Part Two (full documentary) | FRONTLINE​

FRONTLINE PBS | Official
Jan 10, 2023

Part two of a two-part docuseries: FRONTLINE and Forbidden Films investigate Pegasus, a powerful spyware sold to governments around the world by the Israeli company NSO Group. 53:17

More:

A "Miss My Face" hat will go a long way towatds avoiding the facial recognition bs.

It's a hat with built in ir leds that overwhelm the cameras with bright ir light. They even have ccd detectors built into them.

Might not be a perfect solution, but will certainly help.

Everybody’s favourite big tech giant, Amazon, is facing yet another class-action lawsuit, this time for allegedly deploying biometric recognition technologies to monitor Amazon Go customers in its New York City outlets without their knowledge. According to the lawsuit, Amazon violated a 2021 NYC law which mandates that all business establishments that track their customers’ biometric information, including retail stores, must at least inform their customers that they are doing so. Amazon apparently didn’t.

Show me the reference to that.
I don't think it directly says exactly that, but does say that anyone trying to defeat their restrictions and connect to so-called banned sites/services, could face up to 20 years in jail and a million dollar fine.

So lets say they get rid of tik tok or any other site/service the gov deems as dangerous, and you get caught using a vpn in order to surreptitiously connect to it, you would be subject to those penalties.

EFF being vigilant...

More (long) :

Sigh

Bad ideas never die in D.C.

Bad ideas never die in D.C.
Which is merely a symptom of the contempt they hold towards our nations Founding Documents and the principles they contain.

If they held them in high esteem, they'd never even consider legislation like that.

The UK has entered the chat:
More:

Eventually there will be a code assigned to every financial transaction that describes what it is to AI. The IRS, FBI and others will receive messages when red flags pop up or will have a massive data base for research into an individual's behavior.

The key is what will define red flags? I suppose if one is on the opposite side of a political agenda that buying an extra soda in a vending machine using a bank card could lead to some agency taking your kids away the way things are going.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…