QE3 looming

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Damn. I can't see anything on that chart. It's all just black on my screen.

basically.. the velocity of money has fallen off a cliff. if we ever see it normalize, inflation is going to go ballistic..

Looks like they need to spark some irrational exuberance in the economy.

As far as I understand it, the real inflation/velocity issue is on hold (read: broken) until the banks actually start loaning/distributing/spending the money they are sitting on that the Bernak has given them to bail them out.

Or they can do it the old-fashioned way! Print!

$500 Corzines!
$1000 Obamas
$5000 Bernankes!

C'mon now guys, think BIG!

Thisw i9s actually frightening. With the lowest velocity in around sixty years, and the highest bank reserves ever recorded, this can only end badly. Weimar? No, think building houses out of bundles of cash instead of bricks, because the cash is worth less than the same volume of bricks.

Gold and silver are the last refuge for us all. I believe I will see in my lifetime, the opportunity to buy a house for ten one ounce silver eagles. I further believe that we will see the worst violence on our soil since the civil war when it gets there.

The left is working overtime to blow the Trayvon Martin case in to something it was not, in a concerted effort to take away our constitutional right to keep and bear arms. This is even more frightening, because when the shit does hit the fan, a gun may be all that stands between you and the golden hord of Trayvon Martins, all looking for some payback and a reason to take down the man.

Yeah, that's all I keep hearing about since coming back from Peru. Trayvon this, Trayvon that.

And, yes, right here in FloriDUH! Where else?

Hey! If I go out and buy a hoodie, does that make me BAD? Or at least LOOK bad?

United States of Weimar:
The has FED bought a staggering 61% of all net US government debt issuance in 2011, says a former Treasury official:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304450004577279754275393064.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Like Kyle said, "the ten yr is at two, what crisis?". What a setup. Can I stay solvent long enough for the market to become rational?

61%.. dear lord.. and no one is talking about that much being monetized.

I'm going to post this on another forum.. Hope you don't mind SA

Last edited:

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldn...tion_to_Fed_Minutes_Wrong,_QE3_is_Coming.html

...that makes sense. I was wondering, what IDIOTS are buying US govt. bonds, supposedly in such a high demand, when even such a financial market's noob as meself can clearly see, US GOVT IS BROKEN, and besides, these bonds do not even match the inflation??? Why, is it not simpler just to stuck all that cash into the mattress, and take out 3-4% of it annually, and burn it in your backyard??

Now I know, what idiots are behind that. Makes a PERFECT sense!

What a nice centrally-planned economy, Lenin would be proud of his American commerades of today! That's just preposterous!

Last edited:
Vampire Squid telegraphing the support for QE3?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/its-l...oldman-stumbles-answer-and-changes-rules-game

QE3 helps no one but stock and bond holders. It will effectively stop any "recovery" dead in it's tracks. The inflation that will be unleashed will cause any up-tick in productivity or whatever to be eaten alive.

PM's bhowever, will go absolutely bananas. I say bring it the fuck on.

Well.. We need higher rates in order for non US government entities to be willing to by our bonds.

Higher rates would kill the government's budget plans. With interest already around 7% of expenses (almost 10% of revenue) a spike up in that number would be devastating. They have to kick the can down the road, debase and hope for a miracle to maintain the current standard of living.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/dudley-joins-yellen-leaving-qe-door-wide-open

With Fed peeps, the messaging is important irrespective of any facts. They are currently signalling support for more intervention. Yellen indicated ZIRP to last though 2015 BTW.

ok, dumb question

why are the banks sitting on all that free money ?

Yes i know they are technically broke and they have to be able to pretend they are solvent by holding a % of their nominal loan book and they are scared to lend to each other

but if the CB's are prepared to bail em out in perpetuity with ever more printing, why tf cant they push money out for dumbass consumer loans at 3%, or even 1%, if thats what it would take to get borrowing and spending moving .......

ok so everyones mortgage can be renegotiated as well and the banks could be worried that their revenue of unearned interest will be reduced but if their supply of free money is assured, then it would seem to be quite simple to make it attractive to lend/borrow

great for a bit of inflation too ........

so what am i missing ?

Rblong,
They are sitting on it because they have to. They have to have a certain margin of cash to cover the minimum requirements on their leverage.

thought i had covered that, Ancona

"they have to be able to pretend they are solvent by holding a % of their nominal loan book"

It just seems so simple to give em even more on the condition they DONT hang on to it, yet whatever they can earn from it they keep.

And the % they are supposed to hold is utterly irrelevant if they are deemed too important to fail .........

my gut tells me with stocks up they will wait for a pullback or another mini disaster to do it.

That can be arranged. /JPM

OK, the QE3 trade has clearly started as of today (abysmal unemployment numbers). Now the speculators will return to pm markets, making them much more volatile over the next three weeks (FOMC meets June 19-20). If the FED doesn't deliver, we might see a huge selloff in pms (like on 2-29). But I'm sure they'll be higher than today by then. The joker is the USD. If it appreciates much more, pms might not go up that much in USD terms. But besides that we should have bottomed out at 1530 / 26.2 for the next three weeks.

Futures are off almost 200, but I have seen that in hte morning and a vapor rally at 3:30 bringing the market all the way back to even. We'll see, but today looks like rough water sailing with pretty strong headwinds.

The turnarround in stocks has already begun. European stocks are off more than 1% of their 8:30 am lows. EUR/USD is up 0.4% from it's lows.

It's gonna be a green day for stocks today (j/k, probably not)

Just got an email from Graham Summers:

This Graham Summers guy is also posting on ZH (as "Phoenix Capital Research") and he has been calling an "imminent" collapse since late 2010 over and over again.
He also gets a lot of facts wrong, e.g. confusing the EU (European Union = supranational organization of nationstates) with the Eurozone (monetary union which does NOT unite all EU member states, e.g. Great Britain, Sweden, Denmark, the Eastern members) repeatedly.
In this email he says that "the whole QE 3 is coming on June 6th argument" is flawed. I agree, because the FOMC meets 2 weeks later, on June 19-20: http://www.federalreserve.gov/whatsnext.htm
This is typical for Mr Summers, he can't do simple research it seems.

I'm with Jim Rickards (see video above: http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f4/qe3-looming-32/index4.html#post7468 ), either the FED announces QE3 in June or they won't act until after the election. The August meeting is too close to the election.

Pretty much everything Mr. Summers posts or emails is an ad for his investment newsletter, so definitely take with a grain of salt. What I thought was interesting was his view that QE3 would be bad news for Obama politically. Maybe the initial annoucement will cause some grumbles in the small segment of the population that cares about a sound dollar, but I believe that the heroin-like high from new money would carry good favor politically in November. Anyway, I thought it was interesting for a contrarian take.

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldn...mergency_Fed_Meeting_&_Gold_Backed_Bonds.html

After Friday, I believe we will see some contagious fear trading this week. I have a very clear memory of 4, 5, 6 and eve3n 700 point drops on the Dow just a few short years ago, and the problems plauging the system have only grown since then. Nothing substantive has been fixed.

Every single bit of positive legislation aimed at the banks has been successfully watered down and even completely cock blocked by the banking loibby, who poured billions on to K street.

It will take a full on catastrophic crash of the markets for the Fed to respond in any meaningful way.

Goldman Sachs setting QE expectations and ZH comments on the likely timeline ...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/crunch-time-goldmans-confidence-qe-will-be-announced-june-20-has-grown

So since goldman is saying it's going to happen, do we get short going into the meeting?

Wait a second, does that above mean, that mr. Bernanke assumes, that whatever free-money they provide to "economy", it ends up as payrolls increases??? Is he mad? Folks down the pecking order (re: payrolls recipients), don't even get a whiff at that money, as it is all being used to perpetuate the robbery of the savers/middleclass by the big financials. Let me make it clear: payrolls NEVER catch up with inflation. IF you need a proof, just look at the average '50 middle-class family (and before), where only father was a single bread-winner (and the family was better off, financially). Since ten, this whole disposable income/standards of living/savings things, are only going down, on average (and studies have been done, showing this clearly).

I always held the academics, who are this completely disconnected from the reality, in my deepest contempt.

well.. To say payrolls never catch up with inflation isn't accurate. There are periods where payrolls increase in real terms but we certainly aren't living in that period today.

...well I meant more along the lines of mean, not average , and in the reasonably recent history (like quoted).

Wysyłane z mojego GT-I9100 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

These "leaks" are getting a bit tiring. If the Fed does anything big before the election, the dihmmicrats can kiss their 'collective' asses goodbye. So, in that sense anyway, I say bring it on!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…