The day's price movements

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

curious that the Kitco charts are both now showing pog as $1660 ish a sudden jump from around $1600 and there was a lag between the two Kitco charts, which I have seen in the past when things are moving fast but my Bullionvault chart remains fairly steady at around $1600 ......... the BV chart refreshes every 30 seconds.

This has been steady for around an hour now.

thats a worringly large discrepancy
Any simple explanations ?

It looks like the QE infinity news finally gave the metal futures wings. Maybe people are finally waking up to the reality that the Fed is going to double or triple their balance sheet in the near future (and other central banks are going to follow suit).

I wouldn't sell any gold right now in spite of the GSR. Gold is my insurance against TSHTF and it really seems like we are getting close to that. It might be a different story if you could actually buy physical silver near spot prices.

We display several kitco widgets on the home page. I've got zero control over how they work. There are no options for adjusting the refresh rate or anything like that.

The kitco charts do have a time stamp on them. I think the table listing all the metals seems to refresh on a tighter interval than the graphs do.

I don't know how bullionvault manages their chart, but it seems like a fair question to ask them (especially if you are a customer).

hmmm

an interesting development then

The Bullionvault chart is based on deals taking place on the live order board, so a close indication of what I might pay or receive if I choose to trade .....

Its still hovvering around $1600 for me

I guess the question becomes, where do Kitco get their info ? E-bay (-;

https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditi...spreads-explode-lbma-warns-liquidity-problems

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-03-...very-of-100-ounce-400-ounce-and-1kg-bars.html

yeah, apparently there's loads of gold available for settlement in London ........

Lets see how much settlement is actually allowed

I posted back on 3/2/20 about the CME raising margin requirements on gold futures contracts. J.S. Kim says they've been going crazy raising margin requirements since to try and arrest gold prices...

https://maalamalama.com/wordpress/comex-physical-gold-supply-problems-/28/03/skwealthacademy

The report on 3/2/20 noted the maintenance margins for 100oz gold were raised from $5,000 to $5,500. Kim says they are now at $8,350 four weeks later. Sounds like they have been quite busy with this game.

Yes but holding the paper contracts and insisting on settlement, knowing there is no gold is the new game in town.
The margin adjustments only have effect once. After that they simply factor into the risk / reward assessment. At some point the numbers could work at full pog value for contracts.

I found this on the CME Group's website:
Futures margin generally represents a smaller percentage of the notional value of the contract, typically 3-12% per futures contract as opposed to up to 50% of the face value of securities purchased on margin.

https://www.cmegroup.com/education/courses/introduction-to-futures/margin-know-what-is-needed.html

If I understand that right, at a base gold price of US$1,600 (for example), the notional value of a contract for the gold would be US$160,000. The "typical" range for margins could range from US$4,800 to US$19,200. They still have room to raise margins to keep paper gold in check (at today's price point).

Sure feels like "ignition".

I'm sure the CME will be raising margin requirements soon.

yes the airfreight costs are massive (-;

from -
https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-04-...tors-as-futures-prices-eye-higher-levels.html

heh

we just (briefly) hit a new ATH in £sterling terms

damn those money printers (-;

The report on 3/2/20 noted the maintenance margins for 100oz gold were raised from $5,000 to $5,500. Kim says they are now at $8,350 four weeks later. Sounds like they have been quite busy with this game.

I'm sure the CME will be raising margin requirements soon.

Looks like the CME did raise maintenance margins at the very least some time in the last week. According to the CME website, maintenance margins on 100oz gold contract is now $9,150. I can't seem to figure out how to see the initial margin requirement on the CME website. I'm not sure if they raised that too.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-are-lining-up-behind-gold-again?srnd=premium

If they are putting their (managed) money where their mouths are, it's going to push gold higher.

More: https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-05-17/Supply-crunch-pushing-silver-price-to-3-month-high.html

An article I read from Tom Dyson caught my eye. Two years ago, Tom sold everything he had and invested all his money in gold......

https://www.rogueeconomics.com/bill-bonner-diary/why-gold-is-your-best-bet/

Say what you will about GS, Wall Street listens to them...

Waves of (free) funny money going to lift all boats, but not necessarily in unison. Insiders, family and friends will have opportunity to buy low and sell high. Everyone else just hangs on to their liferafts.

Gold above 1800 today. If it sticks at closing gold will likely have some legs to climb higher. Silver also heading higher.

Gold seems to have breeched $1800 for good, but it's not rising like some analysts predicted it would. Seems to be a slow fight.

On the other hand, silver looks to be making larger moves. I wonder if it's going to return to the $40s again...

I like slow n steady, hopefully keeps the 'Barstool Daves' away
And silver was going to outperform gold big time ........... ever since eerrr it fell massively in 2012

I'm currently only 40% down on my silver and a mere 80% up on that proper shiny stuff, with all the experts now predicting a POG of $2000 .......
Time to sell one and buy the other ?

Heh, new all time high in £ sterling this morning
might sell an ounce or two for current project funding

and a slow but steady crawl back to breakeven on the silver

And another milestone -
I generally use the Bullionvault chart
because I can float between currencies and change the chart duration from 20 years to a few minutes.
Anyway this morning the gold price in $US is above the all time high of $1837 on the 25 July 2011 and currently hovvering around $1860
I prefer the Bullionvault prices as they reflect actual trades that I could have been a part of, while the official ATH seemed to be a very short duration spike.

I think he only goes ballin with stonks.

spike to $1943 at the open
Got to expect some serious pushback this week but lookin good

Yeah, looks like that upside breakout has finally started. We've had several trading days in a row with strong movement now. I don't recall what the next resistance level is supposed to be, but there will be another ceiling. There always is.

In the small wee hours of last nightI found myself a bit too awake. I poked my phone to get a time check and as the last thing I had looked at was the Bullionvault chart, suddenly I was looking at a chart showing that POG was up around $40 in the previous hour at just below $1980 and something seemed to be going on, then as I watched it for a couple of minutes it dropped almost instantaneously a similar amount ..... and 4 hours later I note another near vertical $30 drop
WTF is really going on in the background ?
Is it possible that someone raided the bid stack in the small wee hours when the world is mainly asleep, a reverse of the process of dumping large numbers of futures when theres no one bidding and the controllers were watching, poised and ready ?
It would seem to indicate that they were anticipating this and are still able to control price, so the question then might become, why are they allowing it to rise and how far will they let it rise ?

$70 straight down in 4 hours and all theyve achieved is approximately -$10 from last nights close ......... fascinating
And pretty much the exact same deal for Silver !

And kinda obvious that there are attempts to control the market.
If they investigate last night, it will be those bidding the price up that will be targeted for 'legal' action.

The metals had a huge jump last night after NY trading had closed. As I said in another thread, I don't think the Fed will allow the metals to signal too much strength. Don't want Joe public to pay attention to them.

GoldMan Sach's recent report questioning the dollar and highlighting gold is getting a lot of media play. Bloomberg Opinion piece here promoting their recommendation to buy gold:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…