The Lunatic Fringe - Market and Trade Chat

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

War Drums Intensify As Financial Collapse Kicks Off
Now that the Bank of England is using QE to ease pressure on the debt market, we can see what other Central Banks will do in the future to stop the spread of the debt implosion around the world. We can learn a lot about how the UK debt crisis foreshadows the fate of the world by this week's past pivot and how the world was possibly days away from a systemic unraveling of the global economy.

Wall St Silver making more sense than usual!

A number of refineries are not going to get the energy to operate this winter... they have to be at the bottom of the priority list!

What do you guys make of this:

screenshot_20220930-195901-2-png.274426

Just reflective of the stress in the system which is why the USD is flying. The question is can Powell fight it even if he flips policy. This might be getting away from them. Is the UK pension system breaking down enough for him or does it have to hit home town USA before he gets his foot off the brake?

How is their pension system structured?

I'm not totally sure but like down here I think you are looking @ a bunch of privately run funds for various industry and employer groups. Fundamentally I think the issue boils down to the fact that these guys need 7-8% return to keep these funds delivering their promises so they lever up on things like Interest Rate Swaps. They do this in longer term models that project a low/declining interest rate over time (like the last 40 years!) and then some Fed official comes along and jacks rates on the world which, at some point, breaks them. Kinda like the borrow short invest long schemes that have blown up plenty of times in history. These guys just didn't bank on the fastest tightening cycle in history... 4% was not on their radar when they set these deals up. That's my best guess.

I read MacroALF's thread on the UK situation about 3 times and it still hasn't fully sunk in. I'm getting old and slow!

Posted on twitter as a thread, back on this thread a little as well...

London gold shortage you say? I was wondering when we'd see signs of it.

Definitely sounds like 2007 redux happening right now.

The Euro without German industry. Hmmm... Sounds like a cover story to me.

Germany has been exporting its heavy industry to all the Eastern European states. I think German tool maker Wera makes more of its tools in the Czech republic, Hungary and other Eastern European states than it makes in Germany.

I work for a US joint venture that is in a German company. That company totally destroyed my belief that the Germans were precision, timely and motivated. What a joke! Thankfully the whole mess just got acquired by a US company. Many of the Germans bolted to the exits like cockroaches when the lights get turned on.

German banks have been in decline for years. Deutsche Bank has been a walking dead financial zombie for longer than I can imagine.

German automakers are turning into the new Peugeot and Fiat. Mercedes couldn't even turn Chrysler around.

In short, I think the German economy cratering will just be cover story of how the EU elites raped Europe for their own ends and to clear the board for their next con game.

Last edited:
The ‘real cure’ for inflation has gone ignored, Steve Forbes says
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/26/the...nd&omnisendContactID=60cb8509b211cd2a8bc8f506

Key Points
  • In focusing on raising interest rates to cool inflation, central banks and governments have overlooked the importance of maintaining stable currencies, said Steve Forbes, chair of Forbes Media.
  • “The real cure is to stabilize the currency. You don’t have to make people poor to conquer inflation,” he said.
  • The British pound briefly fell 4% to an all-time low of $1.0382 on Monday in Asia, following last week’s announcement by the new U.K. government that it would implement tax cuts and investment incentives to boost growth.
In focusing on raising interest rates to cool inflation, central banks and governments have overlooked the importance of maintaining stable currencies, said Steve Forbes, chair of Forbes Media.

The British pound briefly fell 4% to an all-time low of $1.0382 on Monday in Asia, following last week’s announcement by the new U.K. government that it would implement tax cuts and investment incentives to boost growth.

Currencies are weakening against the U.S. dollar as interest rates in the United States continue to rise. Both the Chinese yuan and Japanese yen also fell heavily as the two economies maintain more accommodative monetary policies than the U.S.

“No central banker today — hardly any — talks about stable currencies. It’s about depressing the economy to fight inflation,” Forbes said at the Forbes Global CEO Conference in Singapore on Monday.

Forbes, a Republican who ran for president twice calling for flat income taxes, said many economists and policymakers have stuck to a standard “dogma” or mindset of targeting inflation by hiking interest rates and failed to look beyond that, such as by taking steps to shore up currencies.

‘The real cure’
Forbes cited favorably an example from the 1980s: After then Fed Chair Paul Volcker reined in inflation with a dramatic interest rate hike of more than 20%, U.S. President Ronald Reagan stabilized the economy and increased production by cutting taxes and introducing deregulation.

The Reagan administration also coordinated global efforts to sell dollars and buy up other currencies.

“Today, unfortunately, not only is the Biden administration putting up obstacles to deal with supply-side problems, but also the Federal Reserve and other central banks think you have to depress the economy to bring inflation down,” he said, disputing the idea that a recession is the only solution to combating inflation.

“They do it by artificially raising interest rates. So they have fewer people employed ... that is not the real cure,” he said.
“The real cure is to stabilize the currency. You don’t have to make people poor to conquer inflation.”

Currency imbalances can create problems for economies. A higher U.S. dollar means more expensive exports, while weaker currencies could mean problems like lower foreign exchange reserves.

Forbes suggested using gold to stabilize currencies — for example, tying the U.S. dollar to gold so the dollar has a fixed value.

“Gold holds its intrinsic value better than anything else on earth … gold is not perfect as a stable value but it is better than anything we have found in over 4,000 years,” he said.

“With unstable currencies you get less productive long-term investments, which is key to economic growth.”

Forbes said that after the Bretton Woods gold standard was introduced in the 1940s — under which the U.S. dollar was fixed to gold and other currencies were fixed to the dollar — economic growth rates were a lot higher.

However, the Bretton Woods system collapsed in the 1970s.

Separately, HSBC’s global chief economist, Janet Henry, said at a panel at the same conference that she would not be surprised if sterling continued to fall below the low of $1.0382 on Monday, but she did not expect it to stay at those levels.

“I don’t think there will be currency intervention on the sterling … but the onus is now on the central bank to do more to tighten policies to stabilize the situation,” Henry said.

“I think unless we get severe financial distress they [bank] will wait until the next meeting to show decisive action to raise rates aggressively in the next couple of meetings.”

Yes, they have a nuclear policy. Putin has mentioned it several times. Unlike the US who seems to be the drunken cowboy with a gatling gun shooting anything that moves.

Russia Clarifies Its Nuclear Deterrence Policy
3 June 2020
Dr. Nikolai Sokov
Senior Fellow
Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation

Decree from the President of the Russian Federation on “Foundations of State Policy of the Russian Federation in the Area of Nuclear Deterrence,” published 2 June 2020.

On 2 June 2020, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree “Foundations of State Policy of the Russian Federation in the Area of Nuclear Deterrence.” The new document does not introduce much new into the existing nuclear policy as contained in the 2014 Military Doctrine or its previous, 2000 and 2010 versions. Instead, it clarifies many points, which previously remained moot or vague, and details a number of provisions. Overall, it can be said that Russian nuclear policy has demonstrated remarkable consistency during the past two decades: the conceptual foundations have remained the same and its evolution has been limited, and only in response to new external developments as well as upgrades in Russia’s military capabilities.

Hmmmmm....

... real or fake news?
I heard China is divesting itself of the almighty dollar....

Back
Top Bottom