The Lunatic Fringe - Market and Trade Chat

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

If someone here is on ChatGPT and will do this, share the results here:

"Ask ChatGPT to write a research report on the 2023 global market outlook."

It's trained on an old data set it's not current in that sense so it can't do anything like prediction.

Sounds to me like that's what they're using it for....

It has to be a long range view, it will explicitly avoid prediction in most cases citing it's limited data set. I dunno... but I get this more often than not these days...

1677185127485.png

You lot up there might like to play with this freebee...

Dear #HedgeyeNation,

We are pleased to introduce the “Red Eye, Green Eye” app.

Weather apps tell you when to prepare for rain or sunshine, hot or cold, calm or gusty days. What if there was a simple app which told you when to buy or sell the stock market?

Enter Red Eye, Green Eye. (This FREE app is available now in both the iTunes and Google Play app store.)
  • Red Eye, Green Eye delivers simple real-time push notifications alerting you to buy or sell the S&P 500.
  • Red-Eye, Green-Eye market signals are based on Hedgeye CEO Keith McCullough's proprietary "volatility adjusted signaling process" (VASP).
  • Keith issues these push notifications to identify potential buying opportunities (when the market is oversold) and selling opportunities (when the market is overbought).
(Red Eye, Green Eye is a slightly different type of market signaling process for us. But think how the simplicity of these signals might positively impact your long-only portfolios, like 401ks, etc.)

This exciting new app is part of our ongoing effort to bring hedge fund-quality research to all investors. We think this simple app will improve YOUR investing. That said, since the app is free, we encourage you to share Red Eye, Green Eye with your friends, colleagues and family if you’re so inclined.

After you’ve downloaded the app and taken it for a spin, we’d love to hear your feedback.

Thank you, #HedgeyeNation. And best of luck out there today.

Regarding Chat AI, what if the whole point is for it to track exactly who is asking it what? Right?

That reminds me of the little games and such on Facebook where they get you to psychologically profile yourself for "fun."

["If ChatBot AI's were angels...."] :p

Ask it to use it's powers of observation, regarding the past, to determine whether it thinks Joe Biden should be running the most powerful country in the world.

"Ask ChatGPT to write a research report on the 2023 global market outlook."
Sure, here's a research report on the 2023 global market outlook:

Executive Summary:

The global market is expected to continue its growth trajectory in 2023, with a projected increase in global GDP, continued technological advancements, and expanding consumer markets. However, there are also several risks and uncertainties that could impact the global economy, including geopolitical tensions, trade conflicts, and potential natural disasters. Key sectors that are expected to drive growth in 2023 include technology, healthcare, and renewable energy.

Global Economic Outlook:
The global economy is expected to continue its growth trajectory in 2023, with the IMF projecting a 4.4% increase in global GDP. This is an improvement from the 3.9% growth seen in 2022, driven largely by recovering economies from the COVID-19 pandemic, strong consumer demand, and government stimulus measures. However, there are several risks and uncertainties that could impact global growth, including ongoing geopolitical tensions, trade conflicts, and the potential for natural disasters.

Key Sectors:
Technology is expected to continue to be a key driver of growth in 2023, as businesses and consumers increasingly rely on digital technologies for communication, commerce, and entertainment. Emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, and 5G networks are also expected to play a significant role in shaping the global economy.
The healthcare sector is also expected to see strong growth in 2023, as aging populations and increasing healthcare needs drive demand for medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare services. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is also expected to drive continued investment in healthcare and biotech research.

Finally, renewable energy is expected to see significant growth in 2023, driven by increasing concerns about climate change and the need for more sustainable energy sources. Solar and wind power are expected to see particularly strong growth, as costs continue to decrease and demand increases.

Risks and Uncertainties:
There are several risks and uncertainties that could impact the global economy in 2023, including ongoing geopolitical tensions, trade conflicts, and the potential for natural disasters. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic also remains a significant risk, particularly if new variants emerge that are more resistant to existing vaccines.

Other potential risks include a sharp increase in inflation, which could impact consumer demand and drive up interest rates, as well as the potential for increased regulation in key sectors such as technology and finance.

Conclusion:
Overall, the global market is expected to continue its growth trajectory in 2023, driven by a combination of technological advancements, expanding consumer markets, and government stimulus measures. However, there are also several risks and uncertainties that could impact global growth, and businesses will need to remain vigilant and adaptable in the face of these challenges. Key sectors such as technology, healthcare, and renewable energy are expected to see strong growth, and businesses that can effectively leverage these trends are likely to be well-positioned for success in the coming year.

So it regurgitated a list of the largest producers. Not real impressive.

Intelligence is a misnomer really, it just rearranges what it has read and presents it to you. It will have all the bias that the text base that it was fed on has.

FWIW:
Gold and silver prices are modestly down in early U.S. trading Friday. Chart-based selling is featured to end the trading week. A higher U.S. dollar index and rising U.S. Treasury yields on this day are also bearish outside market forces working against the metals market bulls. ...

A measure the Federal Reserve watches closely to gauge inflation rose more than expected in January, indicating the central bank has more work to do to bring down prices.

The personal consumption expenditures price index excluding food and energy increased 0.6% for the month, and was up 4.7% from a year ago, the Commerce Department reported Friday. Wall Street had been expecting respective readings of 0.5% and 4.4%.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to sell my investments in lead balloons.

Fascinating. When self-learning AI sees the world too clearly and thus comes to the “wrong” conclusions, you just lie to it using fake data. Problem solved.

In other words - spoil the base data with propaganda/disinformation. AI is more like us than we realize.

This is going to leave a mark.

[Yes, I'm holding this.]

FULC_2023-02-24_10-18-34.png
FULC_5_69_▼_−55_86__IWM_Weekly_FAST.jpg

Last edited:
The Chinese room thought experiment [Borrowed from Wiki]

Searle's thought experiment begins with this hypothetical premise: suppose that artificial intelligence research has succeeded in constructing a computer that behaves as if it understands Chinese. It takes Chinese characters as input and, by following the instructions of a computer program, produces other Chinese characters, which it presents as output. Suppose, says Searle, that this computer performs its task so convincingly that it comfortably passes the Turing test: it convinces a human Chinese speaker that the program is itself a live Chinese speaker. To all of the questions that the person asks, it makes appropriate responses, such that any Chinese speaker would be convinced that they are talking to another Chinese-speaking human being.

The question Searle wants to answer is this: does the machine literally "understand" Chinese? Or is it merely simulating the ability to understand Chinese?[6][c] Searle calls the first position "strong AI" and the latter "weak AI".[d]

Searle then supposes that he is in a closed room and has a book with an English version of the computer program, along with sufficient papers, pencils, erasers, and filing cabinets. Searle could receive Chinese characters through a slot in the door, process them according to the program's instructions, and produce Chinese characters as output, without understanding any of the content of the Chinese writing. If the computer had passed the Turing test this way, it follows, says Searle, that he would do so as well, simply by running the program manually.

Searle asserts that there is no essential difference between the roles of the computer and himself in the experiment. Each simply follows a program, step-by-step, producing behavior that is then interpreted by the user as demonstrating intelligent conversation. However, Searle himself would not be able to understand the conversation. ("I don't speak a word of Chinese,"[9] he points out.) Therefore, he argues, it follows that the computer would not be able to understand the conversation either.

Searle argues that, without "understanding" (or "intentionality"), we cannot describe what the machine is doing as "thinking" and, since it does not think, it does not have a "mind" in anything like the normal sense of the word. Therefore, he concludes that the "strong AI" hypothesis is false.

Fulcrum Theropeutics and risk management through proper position sizing:

I'm holding FULC. Since I purchased FULC it has crashed and I'm down by 55.59%.

[That sounds awful. Shouldn't I be crying somewhere?]

For an individual stock that's a terrible loss.

[However, for my portfolio it is a minor loss.]

So, FULC is down 55.59%. However my position size represented 5% of my portfolio value.

So what's 55.59% of 5%? It's about 2.78%. So on this one stock I lost 2.78% of my portfolio's value.

[I live to fight another day, which is the point. Frankly, that doesn't even faze me.]

[To be clear, I'm not bragging. I *am* demonstrating that proper risk management can have a beneficial effect on your attitude and lack of anxiety levels.] :oops:

Last edited:
Fulcrum Theropeutics and risk management through proper position sizing:

I'm holding FULC. Since I purchased FULC it has crashed and I'm down by 55.59%.

[That sounds awful. Shouldn't I be crying somewhere?]

For an individual stock that's a terrible loss.

[However, for my portfolio it is a minor loss.]

So, FULC is down 55.59%. However my position size represented 5% of my portfolio value.

So what's 55.59% of 5%? It's about 2.78%. So on this one stock I lost 2.78% of my portfolio's value.

[I live to fight another day, which is the point. Frankly, that doesn't even faze me.]

[To be clear, I'm not bragging. I *am* demonstrating that proper risk management can have a beneficial effect on your attitude and lack of anxiety levels.] :oops:
Couple of schools of thought on that. Few eggs watch the basket like a mofo or do it the way you are. Different styles.

I doubt it shuts down entirely but may be unusable for regular transactions. After all, Bitcoin wasn't worth much at all for years and it kept running. Granted the difficulty was easier but I doubt it shutdown. No what is the value though, not nearly as much.

Keep an eye on Platinum. I think it leads this Bull market even ahead of Silver. The switch from Palladium to Pt seems to be happening now. And inventories for Pt are even lower than Silver. Throw in Russia potential and that could be explosive.

View attachment 4973
View attachment 4974

Well I don't know if anyone has really noticed but Palladium has really been crushed. This continued higher but not with high Platinum prices. I think there might be support here for Palladium but I won't be buying. Looks like a knife to me.

1677262123448.png

Well I don't know if anyone has really noticed but Palladium has really been crushed. This continued higher but not with high Platinum prices. I think there might be support here for Palladium but I won't be buying. Looks like a knife to me.

View attachment 6972
I heard that Rick Rule was big on this a bit ago. Think you are having a bad day?

sc (16).png

He sold it all and looks like a good move. I have some AG for some reason. Rick Rule sold them a mine that is doing terribly and then said he was a "long-term" investor.
Long term investor is what you call yourself when you were wrong. He got more money than God no sweat off his a$$.

Dollar is about the only thing looking good right now. Markets been looking like shit most of the week. One day up, the next down. Of course I short things on the up days or buy puts. Move works against me so I sell, then the move starts to work. 🤣 So today I said fork it. Bought TSLA puts and turned the computer off.

I see I have company.

It's not early if the stock makes higher lows. Which is so far the case for the miners and certainly the metals. Oct was the low. Now I do have concerns for things making a new low, specifically First Majestic-AG, and why they are underperforming. Looking around, there are quite a few silver miners hitting close to new lows. PAAS, MAG, EXK getting close. Great time to add.

I bought in Oct and sold just a little bit in Jan. I may have added to some other miners in the meantime and that timing wasn't very good. I certainly will be looking to increase my % ownership as prices come back down.

Last edited:
Well you don't know if the stock will make higher lows. However what you propose will work out if we are indeed in a bull market. I think it is too early to buy. Fairly soon but not right here.

Interesting video discussion covering oil exports around the world.

Black Sea War: One Year Anniversary | Russian Military Defeat vs Russian Economic Victory?​

Black Sea War | Recap Of First Year of the War | Russian Oil/Diesel Exports | Russian Shadow Fleet | Ukrainian Grain Exports | Predictions For Year Two What's Going on With Shipping
February 25, 2023

In this episode, Sal Mercogliano - maritime historian at Campbell University (@campbelledu) and former merchant mariner - recaps the major naval events that took place between Russia and Ukraine over the past year; examines the impact of Russian oil/diesel caps and sanctions; the emergence of the Russian Shadow Tanker Fleet; and the Black Sea Grain Initiative.
38m

Back
Top Bottom