The Lunatic Fringe - Market and Trade Chat

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

[In recent podcast, Bret and Heather were contrasting simple informal shaming vs. introducing actual laws. One example given is those who use the public toilet and then don't wash their hands. No, we don't really want to make that illegal, but still. Eww...]

[In recent podcast, Bret and Heather were contrasting simple informal shaming vs. introducing actual laws. One example given is those who use the public toilet and then don't wash their hands. No, we don't really want to make that illegal, but still. Eww...]

An ever-increasing part of society seems to feels no shame these days! Maybe it's just a cycle that civilisations go through, maybe it's just a reflection of the rise and fall of a civilisation, a symptom. It feels to me like we're at a bit of a low point in that regard, hopefully the only way is up for a little while!

Homestake Mining
Homestake became Barrick I believe, for which I have no data going back beyond the early 80s. I was just wondering how the blue chips faired as opposed to the rest of the market against gold. I'm supposing that the conservative thing to do was buy Homestake and that it would have faired much better against gold as opposed to the smaller miners.

Last edited:
Bret is always making me think. Is there an inconsistency here, or is there not?

View attachment 6906

Yes, but it is a matter of degree. Coercion implies significantly more pressure than shame. The question becomes at what point do you consider yourself free? We're never free to behave exactly as we want while others are involved.

I dunno?!?!

ChatGPT obviously doesn't know the real reason central banks buy gold:

Nor do most Americans who profess "My Rights!" under the Constitution....

Yes, but it is a matter of degree. Coercion implies significantly more pressure than shame. The question becomes at what point do you consider yourself free? We're never free to behave exactly as we want while others are involved.

I dunno?!?!
I agree with you and with Bret's explanation which I only heard after I had posted.

Shaming and stigmatizing is not coercion so long as no threat of violence is implied or intended.

It is good to have an in-between mechanism that stops short of threats of violence (and govt action).

[Bret is not there, and probably never will be there, but he now understands the dangers of govt regulations and is downright scared of them (after what we have been through). So he talks more like a libertarian around the edges. His trust is (rightly) shattered.]

That's the major problem. If govt is strong enough to regulate, then it is too strong for you to stop it. By definition even. People think it is the people's tool. Typically and eventually they are incorrect about that.

Off the grid barter will be the workaround for CBDC. It will be inconvenient, but it is what humans have always done when faced with crappy and destructive centralized money.

Bret is not there

He was campus left until it went too far and started to attack him, after that event he seems to be shifting further right over time. It's been interesting to watch.

Last edited:
If govt is strong enough to regulate, then it is too strong for you to stop it. By definition even.

I think we are in the overreach phase, they are writing lots of unenforceable regulation that they can't hope to police fairly or evenly. I think that there is a 'level playing field' mandate, contract law, protecting basic rights etc. However we left that core behind a long time ago!

Some is needed but ironically we need to regulate the limitations of government to regulate!

He was campus left until it went to far and started to attack him, after that event he seems to be shifting further right over time. It's been interesting to watch.
Simply fascinating. His heart is to the left, but his brain/mind limit it to the reasonable. I give them a lot of credit because I see them change their minds about things in real time based upon new facts and understandings. I will check that box any day.

Some is needed but ironically we need to regulate the limitations of government to regulate!
Who shall enforce becomes the issue. I haven't solved it.

Who shall enforce becomes the issue. I haven't solved it.

Hence the need for in built regulations to limit those in power and their ability to end run the system. A ring fence for government if you like. Nothing is fool proof, and I guess that the constitution was 1.0 but considering the last 100 years we should rebuild constitution 2.0 with some explicit limitations.

e.g. Any law that is introduced should have a life (5,10,15,20 etc) years depending on its gravity or how fundamental it is (e.g. murder). After that time the need for its existence needs to be argued, defended etc before it gets another lease.

Before that we need to greatly limit the areas that law can be applied to with some sort frame work... the rules we are writing seem to be regulating way too many parts of our life that really don't need it!

Just hot air... but... you know, ideal world etc...

IMHO, one is forced to enlist the Monster to guard against the Monster.

As this is nonsensical, I'm forced to take a different path and choose to not build the Monster in the first place.

Have we made much progress along this path? No.

But the Monster guarding against the Monster has also not made much progress, unless you favor the Monster.

Philosophy and whiskey. A fine pair.

[But only in moderation!]

Off the grid barter will be the workaround for CBDC. It will be inconvenient, but it is what humans have always done when faced with crappy and destructive centralized money.

Well you can't barter for everything. They can turn off the heat among other things. I get the feeling they will not leave us alone.

I liked this Silver chart from Steve Penny and WSS. A potential small pull-back to $21.50 or 200 dMA. Would be very good time to load up.

View attachment 6046

""

I'd say he pretty much nailed this one. We touched $21.50 and let's hope it holds.

SPX Daily - Looks like a trend break upward! Surprising many!

View attachment 6216

We got our big breakout and now it looks like we will retest it here soon. BIG decision time but my money is still on a giant Bull Trap.

I can't post Hedgeye stuff but the toon is permissible and is so clever...

gold_cartoon_06.17.2016.png

I can quote this from his email blast today...

Make no mistake, we’re at a critical juncture in this market environment—Phase III of the Bear Market is on.

Last edited:
Some disinflation signals...
The economy grew a touch slower at the end of 2022 than originally reported — at a 2.7% annual pace, revised government figures show, largely because consumers cut back on spending.

The increase in gross domestic product, the official scorecard of the economy, was reduced from an initial 2.9% growth rate.

The initial weekly jobless claims decreased by 3,000 to 192,000 in the week to Saturday, surprising the markets with another slight drop.

Economists’ consensus calls projected the initial claims to rise to 200,000 from the previous week’s revised level of 195,000.

I like this quote:
And as James Madison put it:

“If Men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and the next place, oblige it to control itself.”

I found it here:

I like this quote:
And as James Madison put it:

“If Men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and the next place, oblige it to control itself.”

I found it here:

Theodore Roosevelt quote: Men can never escape being governed. Either they must govern themselves or they must submit to being governed by others

... Either they must govern themselves ...

09ef001eb8df713096e5feae43a967bd.gif

(just a joke - couldn't resist)

Chinese brokers stealing @Zed 's ideas...

One of China's largest brokerages asked ChatGPT to write a research report on the 2023 global market outlook. And the country's top broker was somewhat impressed by its assessment and top investment picks.
For 2023, ChatGPT was more optimistic on equities and gold, Bloomberg reported CICC's analysts Zhao Li and Xiaoqing Yang as saying in a note. "It is more bullish on equities and gold while more cautious on bonds and commodities," the analysts wrote.

ChatGPT's report was "relatively well structured" and analyzed several key themes, including the lingering effects of the pandemic and tighter global monetary policies, the note added.

If someone here is on ChatGPT and will do this, share the results here:

"Ask ChatGPT to write a research report on the 2023 global market outlook."

How about asking you guys and ChatGPT, what is the best Gold Miner in the world right now? I probably would have looked to AEM or NEM lately but those results from Newmont were not great. What say you?

How about asking you guys and ChatGPT, what is the best Gold Miner in the world right now? I probably would have looked to AEM or NEM lately but those results from Newmont were not great. What say you?
Later when I'm at my computer. You have to keep in mind that chat gpt isn't trained on the current text set it's a few years old.

Back
Top Bottom